Community Based Support (CBS) is a proud and enthusiastic authorised provider of support services under the National Disability Insurance Scheme. We have been involved in providing support to NDIS participants since the start of the first trial in Tasmania in July 2013.
CBS has more experience in the NDIS in Tasmania than some other providers and is completely ready to support people in the NDIS over the coming years and, in fact, for the rest of their lives. Contact our Disability Support Services team to talk to us about how we can support you.
What is the National Disability Insurance Scheme?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme is a new way of funding support for people with a disability. It aims to maximise people’s opportunities to participate in daily activities and to live as independently as possible.
The NDIS provides a flexible, ‘whole-of-life’ approach to help you pursue your goals. It also supports you to be socially active in your community and to achieve your employment goals.
An individual support plan is developed with eligible participants to fund supports that are considered to be reasonable and necessary.
To be eligible for support from the NDIS you must:
- Have a significant and permanent disability. This can include a disability that is ‘episodic’, meaning that some days are more affected by it than others; and
- Be an Australian citizen and a permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen who holds a Protected Special Category Visa; and
- Be younger than 65 on the date when your age group becomes eligible.
Watch this short video provided by the National Disability Insurance Scheme to understand more about ‘Reasonable and Necessary” supports and “Significant and Permanent” disability.
Here are some fact sheets from the NDIS for potential participants.
This one gives an explanation of the NDIS.
This one is the same, but is written in Easy English.
When is my age group eligible?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme is being opened up to specific age groups over the years leading up to July 2019. The Australian Government has told us that the NDIS will be available to all the below age groups by January 2019.
In Tasmania, eligibility for the NDIS is dependent on your age. Different age groups are gradually becoming eligible to apply for NDIS funding between now and January 2019.
Watch this short video to see when your age group will become eligible.
From 1 July 2013 15 – 24 years
From 1 July 2016 12 – 14 years
From 1 January 2017 25 – 28 years
From 1 July 2017 4-11 years
From 1 January 2018 29-34 years
From 1 July 2018 0-3 years
From 1 July 2018 35 – 49 years
From 1 January 2019 50-64 years
How do I apply
To apply, you must make contact with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) on 1800 800 110.
- If you require a translator or other assistance, phone 1800 800 110
- If you are a Text telephone (TTY) user, phone 1800 555 677 then ask for 1800 800 110
- If you are a Speak and Listen (speech-to-speech relay) user, phone 1800 555 727 then ask for 1800 800 110
- If you are an internet relay user, visit the National Relay Service website and ask for 1800 800 110
The booklet My NDIS pathway provides information that may be useful to you. Click here to download your copy.
What support can I ask for?
The NDIS funds reasonable and necessary supports to assist people to meet their goals. The types of supports that the NDIS may fund for eligible participants include:
- daily personal activities
- transport to enable participation in community, social, economic and daily life activities
- workplace help to allow a participant to successfully get or keep employment in the open or supported labour market
- therapeutic supports including behaviour support
- help with household tasks to allow the participant to maintain their home environment
- help to a participant by skilled personnel in aids or equipment assessment, set up and training
- home modification design and construction
- mobility equipment, and
- vehicle modifications.
Once you receive notice of your eligibility for the NDIS, CBS recommends that you take the necessary time to ensure that you have included everything in your plan so that you are covered for ALL the support you may need. Talk to your NDIS planner about this and don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as necessary to ensure you get what you need.
Need more information?
If you would like further assistance to apply for this funding, if you have any further questions, please contact the CBS Disability Support Services team or visit the NDIS website at www.ndis.gov.au.
We are more than happy to help!