Community Based Support Tasmania
Help to understand government funding for support services
There are two types of government funding available to people aged 65 and over (or 50 years and over for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders), who live independently in the community:
1. The Commonwealth Home Support Programme provides entry level help at home to older people who are managing quite well on their own but need some help with common daily tasks.
CBS is funded through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme for:
- Personal Care (showering, grooming, dressing etc.)
- Domestic Assistance (cleaning, clothes washing, ironing etc.)
- Annual Spring Cleaning (bigger cleaning jobs like windows, cleaning out gutters, cleaning out the oven and fridge etc.)
- Home Maintenance (changing tap washers, changing light globes, making minor household repairs etc.)
- Home Modifications (making it easier for you to get around your home by building ramps, putting rails in place and modifying bathrooms etc.)
- Annual Garden Maintenance (mowing, trimming trees and hedges, weeding etc.)
- Social Clubs (keeping you in touch with other people in your community)
- One-on-one Social Support (shopping, going out for coffee, paying bills etc.)
- In home respite (providing a break for carers)
2. The Home Care Package Program delivers a coordinated package of care to meet more complex care needs. The package provides an allocated amount of funds to allow for more comprehensive support and is tailored to meet the client’s higher, individual needs. For more information about home care packages click here or contact us.
If extra support is required or if CBS does not have government funding for certain services such as transport to appointments, overnight support or holiday packages, self-funded support services are available for purchase. These can be found here or call us to have a chat.